Sunday 22 November 2009

Sunday Night is... The Flying Pickets




Only You...and your sideburns in 1983. For The Flying Pickets see here.

1983 - Arrest of Klaus Barbie; red rain in Britain carried over from the Sahara; Simon Hughes defeats Peter Tatchell at Bermondsey; Michael Jackson does Moonwalk for the first time and, later in the year, 'Thriller' is released; US embassy in Beirut bombed, 63 killed; Hitler Diaries; General Election won by Margaret Thatcher on back of Falklands War; end of martial law in Poland; Korean passenger flight shot down by Soviet Union, 269 dead; bomb explodes on Gulf Air flight; Neil Kinnock becomes leader of Labour Party, Michael Foot having stood down (longest suicide note in history...); Microsoft Word's first appearance; Soviet Union invades Afghanistan; military rule ends in Argentina (see Falklands war, above, by-product); IRA bomb outside Harrods kills 6. All this courtesy of Wiki. Just dropping in.

We are in Scotland on Kintyre with the children. I am between November and May (1982) and Short Wave (1984), reading Hungarian history and preparing to go to to Budapest for the first time the next year. Also next year: the miner's strike, Iraq's use of chemical weapons,... the rest when I have a 1984 song on.

Meanwhile, reading, marking, examining...



4 comments:

Tim Cockburn said...

Oh my goodness, what a gorgeous, perfect thing. I love this song.

George S said...

Isn't it just!

Ms Baroque said...

Thanks for that little time travel pill, George. I hadn't realised how 1983 was engraved on my mind! Then again, I was working in Liberty's when Harrods was bombed - I knew THAT was engraved on my mind...

George S said...

Then you certainly do remember the Harrod's bombing. I am tempted to ask (but won't) whether the bombers showed a lapse of taste in bombing Harrods rather than Liberty's, so consider it not asked, whatever it is. Only glad you are safe and with us, Ms Baroque.