Monday, 6 April 2009
1. Earthquake in Italy.
2. Spent the day footnoting the Bloodaxe Lectures so they should be ready to go off .
3. Spent time packing away the books referred to in the above.
4. Earthquake in Italy: death toll rising.
5. The sun shone: outside. Me: inside.
6. Death toll L'Aquila rising.
7. Received the participants' list for the Rotterdam Poetry Festival in June. As follows:
Gert Vlok Nel
Nachoem M. Wijnberg
Alphabetical. In G.K. Chesterton's 'The Napoleon of Notting Hill' they choose kings alphabetically from the telephone directory. That's how I remember it at any rate.
8. Death toll still rising.
9. Weather forecast says it will probably rain tonight.
10. Obama speaks in Turkey. 'We will not make war against Islam'. Applause.
11. How silent it is in W. on a Monday evening. The moon was full or close to full last night. Tonight it is dark. Perhaps there is no moon.
12. Played a little with cat (Lily). Lily is fond of a certain chocolate wrapper that crackles and has remaining traces of alcohol from the cherry liqueur. She coils, uncoils, scampers, flops over and stares. Mild intoxication?
13. Footnotes. Ibid. Op cit. See previous. Can't remember where I got this quotation from. Damn.
14. L'Aquila = the eagle. Aquiline. Faint memory of Akela at cub scouts. Dib dib dib.
15. Oy, oy, oy.
16. It's from Tom Paulin. Early book. 'The Strange Museum'
17. But that other? It is Brendan Kennelly. Book in university library?
18. My heart aches and a drowsy numbness, etc.
19. These are just the foothills of my native footnotes wild.
20. Twenty is enough for anyone. It's my top twenty.
(21. The death toll rises. The children. The students. Once in Budapest, was it 1955? or early 1956? the earthquake shook a bus off the bridge. The dead in the Danube.)