Sunday 26 April 2009

Sunday night is.. Laine, Dankworth, Gershwin


Sunday morning actually as I am off to Oxford for two night, sandwiching one day's work on Monday. But Bob from Brockley (where we lived between 1972-73 while I was at Goldsmiths) is asking for Spring songs, so here is one.



Cleo Laine, Johnny Dankworth (daughter Jacky once appeared in a play wot I wrote, and very good she was too) with Gershwin. As for the rest, mostly in good old springlike black and white:

Schubert: from Die Schöne Müllerin, here
Aretha Franklin: Respect here
Andrews Sisters: Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree here
The Who: My Generation here
John Lee Hooker: Boom Boom here
Beethoven String Quartet Op 132 (bliss!!! and never mind the visuals) here

That's yer seven. Bring on the seventy-seven

Rules
List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your spring. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they’re listening to.

So, I tag: Foster Boy, The Plump, David at georgiasam, Jonathan, David Morley, Pootergeek,and Shuggy.

I'll remind them when I get back. Perhaps they'll find it here.



7 comments:

Rachel Phillips said...

Is this a private party or can anyone join in?

George S said...

Join in Dubois.

I was tagged by Bob (see top of post)

bob said...

Predictably great list. My mother always sang the Andrews Sisters, that song especially, when I was a kid. Thank you!

bob said...

p.s. didn't know you had a goldsmiths/brockley connection

Nicole S said...

None of the music links work for me. I'm having an attack of 'what have I done?', but maybe it's YouTube?

Jim Denham said...

It Might As Well Be Spring; this version by Shirley Jones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvVX2yZiZN4

Joy Spring by Clifford Brown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJcuwurIwhQ

Given time, I'm sure I could think of five others.

George S said...

Whoops! Just sorted out the links to the YouTubery.

Watching potatoes grow: YouTubery

Sorry, Nicole.