Sunday 11 January 2009

Off to...


...London this afternoon for the T S Eliot Prize readings at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, then the prize-giving itself on Monday where, as chair of the PBS, I have to say a few formal words. I will never forget the gobsmacked, wholly unexpected dizziness of the announcement when I won in 2005. It's a tense party on Monday night. I will get home about 1 am and will have to go straight back down again for another meeting. I fact it is another fully packed week, not one entire day at home at my desk.

I have just been listening (when I should have been working) to Ruth Padel on Desert Island Discs. Her choice of music overlaps considerably with mine. She had Verdi's Requiem with Joan Sutherland and Marilyn Horne, conductor: Solti); Beethoven's String Quartet in A Minor (The Borodin Quartet); Kathleen Ferrier singing Down by the Salley Gardens; Muddy Water: I'm Ready; a Greek song; E Voi Ridete from Cosi Fan Tutte; Bach's Double Concerto; and Melina Mercouri singing 'The Boys of Piraeus'.

I'd certainly have the Beethoven and the Bach, and maybe the Salley Garden too (in Britten's arrangement though, with Peter Pears singing). Muddy Waters is terrific of course, and Mozart? Possibly the Requiem, so not Verdi. (Imagine a Desert Island choice all requiems!) The Greeks may be replaced by a Hungarian or two. And then there would be the jazz, one or two specials. Maybe a Chopin? But I am already over. And one soul classic, probably Otis or Aretha. And...






The Crowd, 6. Taking films would also be nice.



6 comments:

The Plump said...

a Greek song

To γιασεμί χωρίς νερό

Jasmine without water (Jasmine without water cannot live, and nor can a heart without love)

Sung by Giorgos Kalogridis

Gwil W said...

I had the idea she'd be hiding behind the door with a bread knife in her hand when he came back in, the jerk, but a decent jerk in the end ... although when the soiled nappies and the screaming baby at 3 am disturb his comfort zone I suspect the real drama will unfold. It'll be more than a bottle of spilled milk for him to worry about then then.

Re music things, Bela Bartok lived near me about 100 years ago. In 1905 to 06 I think it was to be exact.

George S said...

Thanks, Plump. But you're often in Greece, I think.

Jonathan Wonham said...

I suppose she has to be really pregnant does she? It's not just a ploy to keep things lovey-dovey?

George S said...

Ah Jonathan - you will find out... I might as well drip out the rest of the film.

George S said...

Ah Jonathan - you will find out... I might as well drip out the rest of the film.