Wednesday 14 January 2009

Safely in the hands of...


The travelling and the meetings and the academic vaudeville are catching up on me and I am, as John Berryman once put it, 'heavy tired". Well, not exactly, I think he was in fact "heavy bored", but when you're heavy tired.... I may return to this keyboard tonight but, until then, I leave you in the brilliant hands and vocal chords of Dudley Moore...





Came home, found this on YouTube and started laughing. A long tired, involuntary, sweet laugh. And while laughing I was somehow overwhelmed by affection for the man who was making me laugh.

Britten, and Brecht / Weill, parodied by Dud in Beyond the Fringe, when I was but a wee boy of eleven or so, my breath coming in short pants, and he nobbut a darkling graduate with his first flop of hair...



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, George. Its strange how you forget how funny some people were until someone else prompts you to rememeber. I'm glad you did. Watching that reminded me just how funny Dud was. How can anyone not laugh at that performance, no matter what your mood.